Friday, October 11, 2019

Montrose Oktoberfest: The Experience

Oktoberfest. The word alone carries its own weight as an adult. But before I became an adult, I didn't know anything about it. I remember passing by Alpine Village in Torrance, California and thinking it was a "cute little town." As an adult I realized differently and experienced the madness of Oktoberfest at Alpine Village: drunken thugs, nonsensical chatter, fighting, and beyond excessive drinking and murdering of the liver. However, many years later I went to Munich, Germany with my fiance and a couple of friends and discovered that the idea of Oktoberfest that I had was totally warped from the real thing. The real festival is a much more friendly, family-oriented, supplies a platform to make friends, and is a much more of a relaxing and enjoyable experience, where the goal is not simply to get drunk beyond belief.
Oktoberfest began in 1810 (yeah, its pretty old) as a celebration of the marriage between Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen. I mean dang, what a wedding celebration (I hope mine is that big). This year held the 186th celebration in Munich. The citizens were invited to celebrate and hence Oktoberfest was born. Normally Oktoberfest is towards the end of September and the beginning of October finalizes its end. However, in California we always bend the rules. I doubt anyone will remember my marriage that far down the road, unless I live to be 221 years old.
This brings me to my search for a more realistic Oktoberfest in Southern California that is a real thing.s close to the real thing as possible. Oktoberfest in Alpine Village (although they have a band that is pretty similar to what you hear in the real thing and have a big ol' tent) is far from what my heart desired. I love traditions. I love all things old. I love beer. I happened to come across Montorse Oktoberfest (I cannot recall how). I have now attended twice since going to Munich. I went back because I felt that it did the real thing some justice. There was tradition, there was beer, there were families, there were nice people, there was simply a good time. I won't lie, as you get older you start to value a simple good time (accompanied by a couple of beers).
My fiance and I were planning to go for a super-quick visit to Montrose, so we put on our outfits (mine less authentic) and headed out. Despite being there a short time, we still had a blast! As soon as we arrived we walked up and down Honolulu Avenue.
It felt like you were in a swap meet or a farmers market. That is the relaxing feel you should have, going to Oktoberfest although the real thing is much more massive. Now, if you're thinking, "well that doesn't sound fun," just wait until you have tried the German beer selection. Obviously aside from food and drink they also have things for those who take their kids with them. And in addition, they have big stages with bands playing oldies and other popular music (if tradition isn't your thing).
After walking up and down the main avenue, it was time for beer (and boy did I have a couple of those). Now although I believe the beer was a bit pricey for a half pint ($10), the beer was good. 
They had Spaten Oktoberfest  (my fave) and Warsteiner Oktoberfest.
I really liked that Warsteiner had its own little tent for people to sit and enjoy their beer from the hot sun. This gave me total Oktoberfest in Munich-vibes.
At this "mini-tent" we met two very nice ladies (which is basically what the spirit of Oktoberfest is all about). One of the ladies (maybe in her late 60's or early 70's) was in town to visit her friend who had a shop down the street and decided to come have a beer and relax. Now that's what I'm talking about! The other woman was German with her mother and Cuban mother-in-law. She was so excited to tell us about her families home town (Hümmel)? Or Herford?) Anyway, she was helping us pronounce German beers like Pauliner (Pau-lee-ner) was so excited of our outfits and love for her country that she scoffed and rolled her eyes when her mother and mother-in-law got up and pressured her to go. Now THAT is the Oktoberfest vibe. Have a beer, have a chat, and just have a good time! 
Even Golden Road (not German) had a cute little "Los Angeles-styled" booth for beer. It was located at the end of the "adult" section and reeled you slowly back in to reality. 
If you love hearty food (and are not Vegan) you would love the meat-eating varieties available. They had the regular wurst - in a hot dog bun for a twist. However, the sauerkraut brings you back to Germany. I love sauerkraut. The thing that struck me was the massive turkey-legs smoking away. Passing by this section of the festival gave me total Bavarian-vibes. Alas, I didn't have space to fit a turkey leg. Blame the beer (please don't).
As we kept walking, we went to the Bavaria Stage (which is where I wanted to plant myself with a tall cup of seasonal German beer and stay all night). Although we didn't stay for long, we still got a chance to view the D'Oberlander Dancers. 

We saw a performance of two older women with cowbells, a dance of two men and a women fighting over her (and kicking each other in the rear), a row of guys dancing something similar to what marching bands dance now, and a very moving horn-blower performance with an Alphorn called "An Dorfren?" I could not find the translation online, sorry if I butchered it.
I was specifically moved by how the German-American families took their children and dressed them up, immersing them in their culture. Tell me this little boy isn't the cutest thing you have ever seen. I saw many children and babies dressed up in traditional Bavarian dress.

Shortly after, we left. I struggled very hard to go home and am pretty sure I will return next year. I hope you enjoyed this snippet of my visit to Montrose Oktoberfest. I can honestly say that every year it gets better. I cannot wait to see what happens next year!


If you enjoyed this review of Montrose Oktoberfest please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on this post: